So Saturday began the big transformation. Step 1: priming the wood panelling.
I just picked up a can of Kilz oil-based primer from Lowes. My room is in the basement where there is no ventilation and I think I was a bit “paint happy” by the time I was done, if you catch my drift. I would highly advise spending the extra $3 for the odorless kind. All my research said the wall just needed a light coat of primer, so the job doesn’t have to look particularly clean.
If ever using oil-based paint, keep in mind it does not come off brushes or skin easily. I didn’t even want to deal with cleaning the brushes so I just used inexpensive ones that I could toss. It took me a few showers scrubbing my skin with baby oil to get the paint off my legs and arms. If I were to do it again, I probably would have been a bit neater through this process.
The room already looks bigger and brighter with just one spotty coat of primer so I can’t wait for the final results.
I tried to paint today, but it turns out the paint color we bought is a bit too dark. I’ll be making a trip back to Lowe’s tomorrow morning to try again!
In the mean time here is a little DIY makeover I gave my old laundry hamper using spray paint and the fabric purchased at JoAnnes:
All you need is two cans of spray paint, about 1/2 yard of fabric, and a staple gun. Too easy! If you have any questions about this just let me know!
Check back at the end of the week to see some more progress!